Sunday, July 16, 2017

Feeding the beast (me) ;)

RAGBRAI is jokingly referred to as a 500 mile buffet line. This year, it's "only" 411... but what's a girl to eat before, during and after riding?
I'm sure my runner and cyclist friends already know all this, but I did some research to enlighten myself for this grueling journey I'm about to undertake. Carbs are an obvious source of "nourishment" before a race etc, but there is also research on what else to eat and also post-workout meals... ie: marathon recovery studies. I don't really want to be slurping down sugary Gatorade for a week. Copious amounts of water before departing and while riding are mandatory to hydrate before thirst sets in. They recommend 2 bottles an hour during RAGBRAI with its 90 degree temps!
Pre-ride meals should include carbs and protein in the form of energy bars, bagels, toast, peanut butter, washed down with water, coffee or a sports drink. A few days before the ride, I'm supposed to eat lean protein like chicken or fish and carbs in the form of vegetables, fruits, rice, pasta, breads, or legumes. Dairy in limited quantities... carb loading on something like pasta is recommended TWO nights before beginning a race/ride. Also, I'm to avoid processed foods, fats and fried foods (darn).
Electrolyte replacement - besides the electrolyte water you can buy, the 5 key electrolytes can be replaced through diet:
Sodium, lost in high concentrations during sweating, can be replaced with peanut butter and salty snacks, etc,
Chloride is needed to maintain fluid balance, blood volume, blood pressure, and body fluid pH levels, is also lost in high concentrations via sweat. Skip the snack food aisle and replenish chloride with whole food sources such as olives, seaweed, rye, tomatoes, lettuce, and celery, deli meats, condiments, canned soup, and potato chips.
Potassium can be found in fresh or dried fruits like oranges, melons, raisins, or prunes, baked and sweet potatoes, green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale, peas, beans, and avocado. The most obvious, readily available and portable source during RAGBRAI will be bananas!
Calcium - research has shown that a calcium-rich beverage does a better job than water or sports drinks at rehydrating the body after a workout.Think milk (regular or soy) and cereal, yogurt, or a latte. 
Magnesium aids muscle contraction, nerve function, enzyme activation, and bone development and also helps fight fatigue. Leafy green vegetables, whole grains, nuts, peanut butter, dried beans, and lentils are a good source.
I have 3 out of 5 in supplement (pill) form (calcium,magnesium and potassium). Sodium should be easy through diet. Chloride might take some thought to scrounge up...

Post-ride nourishment should include straight water, fluids, and within 30-45 minutes... a meal that includes carbs and protein in a 4:1 ratio. I think there will be plenty of those available in every town! Turkey legs, BBQ, pies, watermelon, corn on the cob. etc. Recommended online are chicken, eggs, sweet potatoes, chocolate milk, cantaloupe, nuts, berries, honey and coconut water. Hmm... I may not over think this and just enjoy the delicious homemade offerings of the Iowa townsfolk. I also read up on beer, hoping that one or two might provide some benefits in the evening. Sounds like it doesn't but it can't hurt athletes in moderation either. Whew!

One thing I did find interesting is the benefits of PICKLES! I noticed them advertised for sale on signs from past year RAGBRAI vendors. Apparently, pickles and their juice contain valuable vinegar and sodium that help reduce muscle cramps. Also recommended is mustard, convenient to carry in packets, for the turmeric that reduces inflammation. Honey packets are great too ;)
After my July 12th 30 mile training ride, mid-day in 90 degree heat, I was feeling a bit of heat exhaustion coming on as I finished. I researched it and found this great article on 11 foods to help avoid it:
http://www.eatthis.com/prevent-heat-stroke 

Honestly, if anything "gets me" during RAGBRAI, it's going to be the heat! I need to drink more cold liquids. Yesterday, I stopped at Home Depot and got 4 feet of clear tubing to run from my bike basket where I'm securing my bottles upright with a bungee cord and running it right to my lapel, held in place near my mouth with a binder clip! ha ha. During training rides, I always tell myself I'll drink next time I stop, and then end up dehydrated. Easy access during Ragbrai will leave me NO excuses. My hands will never leave the handlebars, and why buy a $150 Camelbak for water when I can make a "Camelfront" for under $5? ;) The thought of having anything strapped to my back in the heat makes me cringe.
Allegedly, it takes 2-3 WEEKS to recover from running a marathon, or one day of rest for every mile run. I imagine RAGBRAI will wear me out! Luckily, I wont be attempting my next long cycling adventure until September 29th, a Kentucky-based 3 day ride through horse and bourbon country. Check it out: https://www.bourboncountryburn.com/about/

No comments:

Post a Comment