Sunday, May 21, 2017

How it all began...

In 2012, I was flipping through the only magazine I subscribe to, Saveur. It's all about food and travel. I came across an article about RAGBRAI, an acronym for Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. The Des Moine Register has hosted the event since 1973! It began with a few hundred riders and has grown to 10,000 weekly riders for the 400-500 mile long ride, held the last week of July every year.  Here's the event link if you're curious:
http://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/

The 2017 official RAGBRAI artwork/poster has been unveiled, by Des Moines Register artist Mark Marturello..

The route, mileage, elevation and overnight and pass-through towns change every year, and towns eagerly apply to be included on the route. In a matter of hours, they can raise tens of thousands of dollars for community projects! It's an honor to be chosen, and residents pull out all the stops to welcome the riders to their town. Logistics are complicated and towns must provide a litany of amenities for the cyclists. Pass through towns, 4-5 each day, have a brief window to put on their best show and provide much needed sustenance for tired riders. This is where the food and beverages come in.

Here's the Saveur article that piqued my curiosity:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Travels/Eating-Up-The-Road

                                                                             Ribs!!!
                                                                               Pies!
                                                                         A "walking taco"

The article details the delicious food on the ride.. homemade, delicious treats made with love my Iowa locals.. rare ground cherry pies, roasted hog, corn on the cob, watermelon, home-churned honey ice cream, cinnamon buns, pancake and spaghetti church suppers, BBQ, turkey legs, pork chops and of course beer. There is a pass through town with food every 5-20 miles or so during each 50-70 mile daily ride. 


You definitely have to get off and walk your bike through the small towns, for safety and so you don't miss all the great food options. Looks like ants! ;)

There are also bands, entertainment, showers, camping facilities and beer gardens in every overnight town during the week long event. I daydreamed of completing the event but didn't get serious about it and actually register until this year. I'm 52 and finally chipping away at my bucket list. Last summer, I finally got to work on a Wyoming dude ranch and crossed that dream off my list.

Coveted RAGBRAI wrist bands are awarded by a lottery system, and somehow, I managed  to get one (entry fee: $175) There are forums where people can buy and sell their wristbands after the lottery, but I'm keeping mine! In some cases part of a cycling team will get them and others won't. A man or woman might get awarded a band, while their spouse is online frantically searching for one. I was elated and also a little scared when I got the news, but decided it was destiny. With osteoarthritis in my knees and hips, right foot bunion surgery, a broken right wrist and shoulder in my past, and a lumbar fusion in 2001, this will definitely be a challenge! 

Wrist band recipients were announced on May 1, 2017, leaving me only 10 weeks to prepare. I had to find an appropriate bike and all sorts of gear, not to mention... get myself physically up to speed for the grueling journey. That's another blog entry though. Follow along and wish me luck. I'll probably post about once a week leading up to the big event, and then daily once it starts ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment